Thursday, January 24, 2013

S/S 2013 haute couture review

Couture week in Paris has once again come and gone. Wondering what couture is? This is a post I wrote some time ago which explains the basics of the art. Haute couture is possibly my favourite aspect of fashion, so naturally, I had to write a review of the collections that stood out to me this season.

Giambattista Valli

Valli seems to just get better and better at haute couture; this collection was true elegance.

Alexis Mabille

Most opinions I saw on this collection were negative, which surprised me. Many found it too pretty and sugary-sweet. I can sort of see where they're coming from, but I nonetheless find this collection quite lovely if one looks past the pink runway.

Chanel (oh, Chanel!)


When I saw this collection, I genuinely became quite emotional. The lace, the silhouettes, the framing of the shoulders, the mysterious backdrop of the collection; it all fell together like a dark fairytale. What a genius Karl Lagerfeld is!

Valentino

I love that Valentino seems to now be heading in a darker and more mature direction without sacrificing the girlish femininity they've established. I was very pleased to see the classic Valentino red appear several times.

Elie Saab


Elie Saab is one of those brands which can always be trusted to be beautiful. In all honesty, I was a little bored by some of his other recent collections, but this collection was really dramatic and breathtaking.

All images are from style.com.

19 comments:

  1. Stunning pictures!

    -Vogue&Heels
    vogueandheels.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved the ellie saab line and that valentino dress you put up is beautiful!
    great post
    xx
    http://anoddgirl.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhh! Valentino is the best and Ellie Saab is so sensational! Compelling creations this season! Love your blog!

    (='.'=)
    -Lauren at adorn la femme
    http://adornlafemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks cool,babe!;)
    xx
    B.
    http://www.beeswonderland.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome collections. Love Ellie Saab <3
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great roundup, I almost never read critical reviews, I prefer to form my own opinions on collections, like, the Alexis Mabille range, I loved it! Elie Saab is as always beautiful and predictable... I was thrilled to see the route Valentino has taken.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely dresses! i wish a got a party to go to that i can wear one of these

    http://delightfulideas.com/

    xo lala

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that second Mabille dress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. soo, I can't decide which is my fav, I love all of these gowns! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to see someone else who love couture. I always love Giambattista Valli. Elle Saab is so beautiful- I dream of wearing one of those gowns. Valentino looked so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. these outfits are so beautiful...

    www.trendinginfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful selection, I love the last two dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i dont really care what people say, i really love Alexis Mabille! i thought it was super pretty and feminine

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your blog :)
    i'm your newest follower, check my blog and follow if you like it :***
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  15. all of the collections look so elegant!

    ReplyDelete