Thursday, August 9, 2012

Androgyny and the girls of fashion

When I first began taking an interest in fashion many years ago, one of the first things I noticed was how the fashion industry embraced androgyny, especially when it came to the girls. The definition of androgyny is having both masculine and feminine characteristics. Some of today's most successful female models have androgynous vibes, including Freja Beha Erichsen.
Source: www.lateboots.com
A famous example of an early modeling icon with this type of look is Lesley Hornby, more commonly known as Twiggy.
Source: strawberrylemonadeblog.blogspot.com
There are some great celebrity photo shoots with androgynous inspirations, one of my favourites being Diane Kruger's editorial in Vogue Germany.
Source: notorious-mag.com
These types of editorials have become quite popular in Chinese publications. Here is actress Liu Yifei in Harper's Bazaar China.
Source: cfensi.dramaddicts.com
The androgynous look has been on various runways from Chanel to Hermes to Dolce & Gabbana. On the runway, it's usually achieved through suits, blazers, jackets, trench coats, hats, dress pants, boots, etc. Here is one of my favourite looks, worn by Sasha Pivovarova on the runway of Chanel Fall 2011.
Source: style.com

18 comments:

  1. These ladies are amazing!

    - Victoria
    www.VICKITAS.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing photos!

    http://mesmemosphotoblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Thanks for visiting my blog. Followed you on GFC. Hope you will follow back xx

    Marla
    www.trendstruck.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Androgyny is one of my favourite styles and I wish more people did it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow what a great collection, you're right! Jess xxx

    www.thestylebakery.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post :)

    Katie
    www.katiescreative.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!
    Androgyn models have a beauty of their own, very different from the usual definition of it!

    Would you like to follow each other?
    My Own Project

    ReplyDelete
  8. What you said is very true. I always dress in the masculine Teddy Boy look as I have a very boy-ish figure. Excellent post.


    www.ameliaisnotcross.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those vintage styles!!! charming!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome pics and great inspiration!

    http://theprintedsea.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. great blog, great style and photos!

    do u want follow each other?

    xoxo


    www.celyneglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. i lovely,
    I totally love this post;) Lovely pics!
    I just found your blog...it's so cute!!
    Would you like to follow each other ?
    I'm starting and I'm following on GFC
    I hope you like my blog too and follow back:)
    Have a great day:)
    Xoxo
    Mary
    Fashion tea at 5

    ReplyDelete
  13. its a really great post! love the looks here

    new giveaway!
    natalie
    http://lucyandtherunaways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i cannot pull off this look :(

    ReplyDelete