Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Yves is forever

I've always had a lot of respect for Hedi Slimane as a designer but I couldn't help but feel disappointed when I heard that he had replaced Stefano Pilati at Yves Saint Laurent. I've always been so in love with Pilati's work from the silhouettes to the colours to the perfect tailoring he's famous for. Here's a bit of Stefano Pilati's work:
Photo: FW11.12
Source: style.com
Photo: FW10.11
Source: style.com
Photo: SS12
Source: style.com
I know that Slimane is a great designer so I try to be optimistic about what he could bring to the table, but I don't find it particularly encouraging that he's changed the label's name from Yves Saint Laurent to Saint Laurent Paris. For starters the "Paris" seem a bit redundant to me as he has just announced that he will be mainly working from Paris. I'm also a bit unsure about what to think of the YSL designer working from LA. There's something inherently French about the brand and I hope that doesn't disappear. I've also heard that "SLP", which would be the abbreviation for "Saint Laurent Paris", is also the abbreviation for a not-so-nice word in French.

"YSL" is such an iconic name and logo, and to me, it makes no sense to change it. "Yves" is part of the whole equation. It makes me a bit worried about the direction he'll go with the design aesthetics. Here's a bit of work from Yves Saint Laurent himself:
Photo: SS01 Haute Couture
Source: style.com
Photo: SS01 Haute Couture
Source: style.com
Photo: from his final collection, SS02 Haute Couture
Source: style.com
It could be that I'm reading too much into this or that I love tradition a bit too much. I think it's worth noting that the original name of the ready-to-wear line was "Saint Laurent Rive Gauche", so I can't say I'm absolutely devastated about the change. I suppose the new name is a way of backtracking. On the other hand calling it "Saint Laurent Rive Gauche" was to differentiate the ready-to-wear line from the couture line (which went by the full name), and YSL no longer does couture. I'm hearing that everything aside from ready-to-wear will still be called "Yves Saint Laurent". I think it's one thing to separate couture from ready-to-wear, but now that couture's gone, I just don't see the need to separate ready-to-wear from the rest of the brand.

I'm still keeping my hopes up that Slimane will not disappoint us in the design department. While I don't expect to love his work the way I loved Pilati's work, I do believe that Slimane is an excellent designer and is capable of great things.

13 comments:

  1. love the slightly masculine collection. xox
    would you like to follow each other?
    A
    xx
    http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah i know. stefano is amazing and i will miss him @ ysl.
    and i was so shocked to see it become "slp"
    very weird and unsettling... but that's what it is :(

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. YSL still has great collections though. But Stefano will be missed! It's a nice post about this certain happening! I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog! I would really like for us to follow each other and keep in touch! Let me know if you followed me already so I can follow you back as soon as I can!

    -Eva
    www.creativecapricebyeva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting! If you like my blog- please follow and let me know in a comment. I will be sure to visit and follow your blog! :)

    xx
    Diana
    http://double-ganger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could anybody take the Yves out of Yves Saint Laurent? That is just plain stupid, pardon my french.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's borderline crazy to change names now! YSL is so iconic!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspiring pics! :)


    From Finland, with <3,
    curiousnoora.blogspot.fi

    ReplyDelete
  8. my 2 favs are the first!!

    www.trendinginfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete